Wednesday, February 17, 2010

COLLISIONS: CHEESY ENCHILADA & SOUR CREAM


9.0/10

I have a certain set of self-imposed "duties" on Wednesday evenings. I have a "radio" show, and a few hours after that, I go play four square. Today I dragged my housemate (and friend!) Lotte along, and she ended up having a good time. As we were driving home, she suggested the prospect of a Chip Trip. Me being me, I could not refuse such an offer, so we went to the Mobil and each got a 99-cent bag of Cheesy Enchilada & Sour Cream chips, something I'd never tried, and a variety I've never seen in a bigger bag.

I got home and opened the bag, and had the slight misfortune of starting with what I assume is "sour cream." The chip was lighter, and the fundamental flaw of a sour cream-flavored Dorito immediately became apparent: sour cream tastes good with lots and lots of things, but on its own it's a weird flavor to experience. I usually eat Doritos one at a time, so while eating a Sour Cream Dorito isn't exactly the same as licking some sour cream, it doesn't really have a strong enough flavor to stand on its own. Cheesy Enchilada Doritos, however, are actually bursting with a cheesiness of a sort not exactly found in Nacho Cheese Doritos or their clones. These things are delicious.

As I wrote this blog, it occurred to me that perhaps Sour Cream and Cheesy Enchilada Doritos are intended to be eaten two at a time. I promptly picked two out and ate them. Sure enough, there is actually a degree of complementation here. In a weird way, the Sour Cream Dorito actually does have a "creaminess," so the intensity of the Cheesy Enchilada is spread out over the palate to a slightly higher degree. There is also a hint of spice to the Enchilada, which sits well with what is, for Doritos, an exceptionally pleasant aftertaste. It's always nice to discover a new flavor in the upper echelon of Doritodom, and Doritos Collisions: Cheesy Enchilada & Sour Cream has truly earned its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment