Sunday, February 7, 2010

SPICY NACHO


7.8/10


I picked up a "fun size" bag of Spicy Nacho Doritos from a Super Bowl event my college was holding because I had never seen them before. Either my memory is hazy or I really have not seen a larger bag of these anywhere else, so I stowed them in my bag, making a mental note to write this review. Well, it's after midnight, I've just finished a marathon homework session and I'm a bit peckish, so I'm chowing down.

Spicy Nacho is an oddity among Dorito flavors. Normally Doritos are not given overt links to one another, but the entire concept of "Spicy Nacho" screams, "Homage to Nacho Cheese!" The bag is slightly darker, I guess to indicate a "bolder" flavor, and I would have to guess that the fire symbolizes the spice.

The chips themselves look exactly like Nacho Cheese, which is to be expected. Mild, medium, and hot salsas made by Tostitos all look the same, and while I tend to prefer hotter salsa, my Spicy Nacho experience again adheres to my unofficial rule that the less-spicy Doritos tend to have more flavor and be a more pleasant chip to munch on. When these babies first hit the taste buds, they taste exactly like Nacho Cheese, but soon the spice sets in, washing away the cheese and replacing it with the ever-looming "spice." If memory serves, the Nacho Cheese taste in regular Nacho Cheese lingers longer, and it's a good taste. As such, I'm going to give Spicy Nacho a slightly lower score than Nacho Cheese. The spice, unlike that of Fiery Habanero, isn't overpowering, so this is not a bad Dorito at all, and I would not turn down an opportunity to eat another Fun Size bag of these, but the bottom line is that they are not the best out there. When you follow in the footsteps of greatness, you're just asking for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment