Monday, August 9, 2010

SPICE 2.0




8.5/10

So I went to Montreal a little less than two weeks ago and scored a few unique bags of Doritos to review back in my homeland. One of those, the second of three that I tried, was SPICE 2.0, and I must admit, these are very good. I guess the concept behind this flavor was that Doritos created a new flavor and had a contest wherein a (Canadian) person had to give the flavo(u)r a name and make a video promoting Doritos, with the person with the best video winning the contest and $100,000. You may have seen the commercial:



The bags that people "tasted" looked like this:



I wish I'd gotten my hands on that bag, but I didn't visit Canada at that time; oh well. My job here isn't to review the concept behind the name, which I think is sort of dumb anyway, so I'll just say that a guy named JEFF CHAN won. He is a professional video-maker and did a pretty good job, and hopes to start a business doing this. I guess he's going down the right path.

As for the flavor itself, it's very good. It's flavors like this that make it a decent bet that a new Dorito will be pretty solid- they tend to stick with what works. In this case, SPICE 2.0 reminds me of SPICY SWEET CHILI (a flavor not really available in Canada) to an extent, although minus most of the "sweet" and with more spice, emphasizing what was good about that flavor. The spice, however, is limited so that these don't turn into the SPICY NACHO wall of "spice"- they warm your mouth a little and that's it. My mouth feels nice eating these, and the aftertaste is somewhat mild for Doritos, which can only be described as a "good thing." They may have put a little more "BBQ" powder on these too, which I'm all for. Good good.

No comments:

Post a Comment