Monday, January 11, 2010

Background/FIERY HABANERO

For a few months now, I've engaged in a passionate search for the ultimate flavor of Dorito. I feel that when the minds behind most brands of chip strike success, they sit back on their laurels. Because of this, Doritos always stay ahead of the game- they constantly come up with new flavors. This allows for a wide variety of "experimental" flavors with limited mainstream appeal, but many of which are excellent. The purpose of this blog will be to review every flavor I can find, including re-visitations of varieties I'm already familiar with (such as Nacho Cheese). Anyway, I tried a new kind, Fiery Habanero today:


FIERY HABANERO DORITOS
JACK: 7/10; QUINN: 6/10

While browsing the chip selection at Price Chopper the other day, I came across a new Dorito flavor and instantly wanted to try it. The bright (but as-yet-unused) colors attracted me, and I instantly wondered: how Fiery is Fiery Habanero? I ended up back around my college today, and as always I ended up sitting around watching a movie, a perfect time for a chip trip.

I went to a gas station near my house, and was somewhat disappointed to discover that the place only sold the 99-cent size of Fiery Habanero, not the huge bag, but I had eaten Five Guys for dinner, so I wasn't exactly starving. In retrospect, this was a fantastic occurrence; I'm not sure I could deal with a whole huge bag of Fiery Habanero, and I think my rating would be much lower if I had:

Fiery Habanero is SPICY. The "Sweet Spicy Chili" flavor (to be reviewed at a later date) has nothing on this. Initially, Fiery Habanero tastes like a cross between Jalapeno and Nacho Cheese, but soon the spice kicks in and the flavor sort of fades. I wish I'd had a glass of milk on hand or something, but it faded soon enough that I could note that the chip's aftertaste is very similar to Jalapeno. What this essentially means is that Fiery Habanero is a way-spicier Jalapeno. Jalapeno is, thus far, my favorite variety, but I actually like being able to taste it, and Fiery Habanero's similarity to a superior chip scores pretty low creativity-wise. I could honestly see buying Fiery Habanero again, but I wouldn't call it anything more than okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment